Spencer Clarke Group are currently recruiting for an Interim Head of Planning to work in the Enfield area.
A local authority based in Enfield have a fantastic opportunity for an Interim Head of Planning to join their team.
Purpose of the role :
- To provide the strategic and operational leadership for Enfield’s Planning Service
- To promote and encourage high quality, sustainable design and placemaking through the Planning Service, respecting conservation and heritage.
- To enhance customer experience across the service and direct the fee-generating and commercialisation opportunities of the Planning Service.
- To effectively manage priorities and budgets, and direct resources across the service by advancing a matrix style working arrangement for an integrated and collaborative planning function.
- To develop and maintain an update to date Local Plan and associated supplementary planning documents to drive economic growth and increase housing supply across the borough.
- To direct efficient Development Management services, including Building Control and Enforcement services. To direct a programme of strategic planning, plan making and design that underpins the Council’s regeneration programme with emphasis on the identified growth areas for change.
- To support an effective Planning Committee, through operation of the committee as well as associated tools such as the Place and Design Quality Review Panel
- Act as the Council’s lead adviser in the provision of professional and technical advice to Members, officers and external bodies and partners, on all matters relating to development management, strategic growth, planning making, S106/CIL performance and heritage & design.
- Represent the Council on strategic planning at the national, sub-regional and regional level including the GLA and ensuring the corporate statutory Duty to Co-operate responsibilities regarding plan making are adequately discharged.
- Oversee the preparation of the Council’s statutory local planning duties in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework, including the review of the Council’s plan making function.
- Lead on infrastructure planning for the Council including the collection and monitoring of S106 receipts, and the Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Ensure the integration of urban design policy and strategy to ensure the delivery of high quality and sustainable development in the borough.
- Lead on the integration of heritage issues and assets to support the regeneration of the borough – including designating conservation areas, delivering conservation area management plans, maintaining heritage assets
- Lead, motivate and hold senior managers to account for functional performance, consistently demonstrating Council values and standards, ensuring performance targets are achieved.
- Make a significant contribution to the Place Department, set and monitor service plan and standards and contribute to Service Plan and Corporate Business Plan
- Overall responsibility for the management of a multi-disciplinary professional and technical service.
- Be accountable for the management and monitoring of the Service budget. Ensure corporate compliance with the Council’s constitution, financial regulations, and audit procedures.
- Be accountable for the procurement of specialist resources in relation to strategic planning and design work and ensure compliance with corporate procurement procedures.
- Contribute to corporate strategy development of the Council including school places planning, housing estate renewal, strategic transportation planning, property strategy and the realisation of asset values.
- Lead on the development and implementation of planning policy and strategy to promote sustainable development and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Promote across the Council and the wider community the importance of exemplary design in all new developments, promoting the reputation of the Council in terms of design and regeneration. Oversee the preparation of Heritage and Design strategies and ensure the delivery of projects and priorities.
- Work with the Council’s Head of Development Management to deliver high quality sustainable development in the borough, leading on negotiations on development proposals.
- Substantial track record of performance, programme and project management.
- Knowledge of the statutory planning system and experience of statutory and non-statutory plan-making.
- Substantial experience of leading, developing and effecting change through teams within a culture of performance management and continuous improvement.
- Ability to plan and manage heavy workloads and meet targets
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience of preparing and giving evidence in-person at Planning Appeals or Local Plan Inquiries/Examinations in Public and prefer ably the Lands Tribunal.
- Knowledge and demonstration of an understanding of urban design and its role in shaping the built environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate an understanding of the role of conservation and heritage in place-making and shaping.
- Substantial track record of how the use of planning can help to achieve wider corporate objectives.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of how S106 and the Community Infrastructure Levy work.
- Must be able to show an appreciation of the relationship between the practice of planning at a technical level and its democratic oversight by elected Members in a local authority context.
- Experience of building relationships, developing and influencing partnerships to promote service delivery, including internal and external stakeholders at all levels in complex or politically sensitive situations
- Educated to degree level (in a relevant subject eg Planning, Surveying, Urban Design, Architecture, Urban Economics,
- Geography) or equivalent and relevant professional qualifications with evidence of continuous professional development.
- Corporate Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
If you’re interested in the role and would like to apply please email your up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Chris on 01772 954 200