Spencer Clarke Group are currently recruiting for a Senior Property & Empty Homes Officer to work in the Elmbridge area.
A local authority based in Elmbridge have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Property & Empty Homes Officer to join their team.
Purpose of the role :
- To improve the quality, safety, energy efficiency and choice of residential accommodation in Elmbridge.
- To provide an excellent service to owners, occupiers and tenants in all tenures through action by a range of intervention strategies, including enforcement, education and advice
To work towards agreed objectives using own initiative to develop, prioritise and review activities by establishing work programmes and targets, ensuring desirable work outcomes are achieved within agreed time frames.
To deal with requests and complaints from members of the public about poor housing conditions, investigate and take appropriate action, including:
- Undertaking property inspections
- Identifying defects and hazards using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Identifying statutory nuisances
- Identifying statutory overcrowding
- Completing inspection reports and schedules of work
- Assessing best course of action to ensure compliance with legislation and council’s Enforcement Policy.
- Where appropriate taking enforcement action including writing letters, undertaking interviews under caution and service of statutory notices through to prosecution proceedings and the undertaking of works in default.
- Attending court or Residential Property Tribunal and giving evidence as necessary.
- Liaise and negotiate with appropriate people and bodies e.g. fire officers, planners, solicitors, landlords, tenants
To identify empty homes and bringing them back into use through:
- Supervise the proactive work carried out by the property standards officer to bring their property back into use.
- Dealing with complex complaints and enquiries concerning empty properties and where necessary, undertake detailed inspections and take appropriate enforcement actions.
- Prepare recommendations in line with council policies, and refer to other sections organisations as appropriate.
- Liaison with colleagues in the council’s Finance and Customer Services teams as regards the status and updating of the council’s list of long-term empty properties
- Organising awareness of the empty property issues and any initiatives through appropriate promotional materials, publicity and education.
To promote and monitor minimum standards in Houses in Multiple Occupation and administer the Council’s HMO Licensing Scheme including:
- Identification and maintenance of HMO database
- Proactive inspection and regular monitoring of HMO dwellings
- Dealing with enquiries and applications for HMO licences
- Assessing applications for HMO licences, issuing licences and monitoring compliance with licence conditions
- Taking enforcement action in relation to non-compliance with licence conditions, not having a licence or otherwise not complying with statutory HMO requirements
- Professional qualification in Environmental Health (e.g. degree or diploma), with certificate of registration from EHORB, or equivalent.
- Hold certificate of competence in the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Membership of CIEH.
- Experience of using environmental health housing legislation tools to resolve poor housing standards and deal with empty homes.
- Experience of working within an Environmental Health Residential sector or working within an organisation dealing with Housing Standards and HMO Licensing related matters.
- Experience of surveying dwellings for defects and adaptations.
- Experience of preparing documents for presentation at Court.
- Experience of dealing with other professions, including solicitors, building contractors and landlords etc.
- Experience in dealing with members of the public delivering excellent customer service.
- Previous experience of supervising and supporting others less experienced members of staff in delivering results.
If you’re interested in the role and would like to apply please email your up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Chris on 01772 954 20